Do you love the convenience and effectiveness of the standard solid electric hobs? If that’s the case – this is what you need to know about it. Maintaining electric hob solid plates can be a bit of a pain in the neck, especially if it’s pre-owned or in a very bad condition. Although is hard, pristine condition can be achieved with some special tactics of course.
Remember clean electric hob plates will not only improve the quality of your food (no harmful smoke and burning outs around your food), but it will actually save you money! This can sound ridiculous to some, but it will make sense in just a second. Have you ever wondered why it takes longer for your solid plates to heat up sometimes? It’s actually because of the burnt on on top of them. When there is a thick layer of grime it’s hard for the electric hob solid plates to reach the optimal temperature and it takes longer. This results in more time to heat up, more electricity to be used and therefore – bigger bills for you to pay. So, put on your rubber gloves and spend some time on your electric hob solid plates.
Tools You’ll Need to Clean the Electric Hob Solid Plates:
- Rubber gloves
- Bucket with lukewarm water
- Cleaning sponge x 2
- Hob scraper
- Kitchen cleaning fluid
- Dry cloth
How to Clean Electric Hob Solid Plates:
- Put on the rubber gloves to ensure your hands and skin are protected. A lot of chemicals can cause skin irritations and even more serious damage to your skin, especially oven cleaning products which have formulas specially developed to dissolve burnt on.
- Take your hob scraper and gently remove any large burn ons and leftovers from the plates. Be careful, as you can damage the surfaces very easily when using scraping tools and make the plates’ condition even worse.
- Put a small amount of kitchen cleaning fluid onto the plate. In general, almost every kitchen cleaner will do the job, but it’s best for you to invest in one that’s specially designed for hobs.
- Use the cleaning sponge to gently rub the solution onto the solid plate to remove any grime and stains. Don’t be too harsh though, better repeat if necessary.
- Fill your bucket with lukewarm water. Make sure the water is not too hot or cold, because first you may burn yourself, and second – cold water won’t give you the best result you can get.
- Dip the clean sponge into the water. In case the water becomes dirty – change with clean one, as using filthy water will make your solid plates dirtier.
- Wipe away any dirty foam from the plates. Don’t let dirty foam dry on the plate, as cleaning becomes pointless – it gets even dirtier.
- Dry down the solid plates using the cloth. Drying is super important when it comes to solid plates, as they get rusty very easily.
- Repeat the steps until you achieve the desired look and condition of the plates. Take your time and repeat if necessary.
Extra Tips on the Perfect Solid Plate Cleaning:
- Ensure the solid plates are well dried after cleaning, as they are the type of plates that get rusty quite fast. Leaving it soaking wet will only cause damage to your electric hob solid plates, so you better make sure you protect them good.
- Another potential harm there is hides in the cleaning products you use. Abrasive cleaners are typically okay to use on solid plates, but you should still be careful. Choose a cleaner that is not super harsh – better repeat the application if the result is not perfect. Although electric hob solid plates are probably the most durable, they can still get damaged if not treated properly.
How to Clean Rusty Stove Plates
In case you already face the unpleasant battle with rust, here are some tips on dealing with that as well. Complete the steps mentioned above and try these :
- Use a damp emery cloth and gently rub the plates in circular motion. This will help you achieve a more thorough clean.
- Mix 2 table spoons of baking soda with 1/2 cup of vinegar into a bowl. Use to a toothbrush to evenly distribute the mixture onto the affected areas and gently scrub until the rust is gone.
- Try using citric acid as well, as it is also very good in cleaning rusty kitchen appliances. There is a possibility your hotplates cannot be fully saved, but It’s guaranteed your rusty appliances will look way better than before
Electric hob solid plates are undeniably one of the most durable ones and if taken good care of can serve your household for many years. Always make sure the plate is clean and dry, using the steps above, ensuring the long life of your hot plates.